If you look at the hazard control hierarchy, wearing personal protective equipment holds as the last hazard control. It is the last protection for a worker against particular hazard. However, there is no guarantee that the worker will remain safe from health risk, injury or even death when he or she already wears personal protective equipment.
If you think that new and expensive personal protective equipments will provide full protection, then you are absolutely wrong. They could not guarantee for the worker’s safety too.
There are some factors you need to consider in order to ensure that your personal protective equipment will give required protection from particular hazard.
How to Ensure Personal Protect Equipment will Protect You
Please read the tips below in order to make you personal protective equipment that you are wearing will give adequate protection:
- Make sure that each personal protective equipment that you use meets safety codes and standards. Never purchase un-standardized personal protective equipments.
- Perform a regular monitoring on its lifetime. Check the vendor manual to get such information.
- Ensure that its specification and material meet your requirements. Don’t forget to check also material resistance against chemicals that you deal with.
- Always wear personal protective equipment correctly. Refer to operation manual. Provide good training for this issue.
- Never wear personal protective equipment that has defect even though you think it is a small defect.
Steps Need to Do
Then, what should you do to make your protective equipments work? First what you need to do is to identify applicable codes and standards for each type of personal protective equipment that you use in the workplace. Make such codes and standards list.
Second, collect vendor manuals related with personal protective equipments and they can be accessible for everyone. Third, identify required personal protective equipments for each job. Make it easy to understand.
Fourth, educate your workers on how to wear personal protective equipments correctly. If necessary, provide a video training for this purpose. So, you can use it repeatedly.
Fifth, set up a regular inspection planning for checking all personal protective equipments. Such inspection will be able to detect any defect in advance. But, please do not prepare a six-month schedule. It is too long. Refer to the manual for setting up the best period.
Finally, I hope right now you have already understood that even though you have worn personal protective equipment, it is still no guarantee that you are safe, as long as you ignore the above safety tips.